VP of Internal Audit
Gesa Credit Union
Take a leap and join our team!
At Gesa, we believe in the power of our people. Coming from all walks of life, our team members’ individual stories and unique experiences are our most valuable asset. But it’s how we come together, igniting our collective compassion and commitment to empowering our communities, that makes us succeed. Because we know we go further when we go together.
Here you can join a team who is passionate about serving others, has a desire to do good, and shares a deep love of people. You can engage in meaningful work that impacts your community. You can challenge yourself and grow in your career. And, you can rest assured that your wellbeing and prosperity are our priority.
Get to know us: About – Gesa Credit Union
Responsible for all aspects of the Internal Audit department by planning, organizing, and directing all audit department functions, and reporting results to the Credit Union’s Supervisory Committee and to Management. Under the direction of the Supervisory Committee and dotted line reporting to the EVP of Risk Management, the VP of Internal Audit shall ensure the safety and soundness of Gesa Credit Union’s assets through an ongoing program of planning, organizing and executing various financial, compliance, and operational internal audits in accordance with accepted professional standards to determine compliance with the credit union’s policies and procedures and adherence to applicable laws and regulations. Direct and manage all practices and activities in the Internal Audit functions to ensure compliance with State and Federal rules and regulations. Assist the Supervisory Committee by providing an independent and objective appraisal of the effectiveness of the credit union’s internal control systems. Oversees credit union Bond function, and coordinates with representatives and carriers. Manages the credit union’s insurance vendor relationships and ensures proper coverage and risk mitigation. Provide day-to-day direction and supervision to assigned staff. Expect to assist with other business needs as they are identified and/or arise as approved by the Supervisory Committee.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Perform annual risk assessments correlating credit union initiatives, prior audit results, and collaborates with department leaders in the organization. Clearly communicates goals and objectives to leadership to obtain most accurate feedback. Utilizes the Risk Assessment to prepare the audit plan.
- Prepare and oversee the execution of the annual audit plan, including planning, fieldwork, and reporting, to ensure proper review of credit union risk areas timely. Ensures proper scoping and timing of audits in coordination with the credit union’s needs, the audits firms’ availability, and department leadership.
- Engage and manage the internal audit team and external audit firms as needed to ensure completion of the annual audit plan with accuracy and timeliness. Manage the follow-up and reporting of audit issues, validation, and remediation to the Supervisory Committee.
- Provide accurate monthly reporting to the Supervisory Committee regarding the audit plan, issues, or special projects, as necessary. Monthly reporting includes all tracking of audit issues or regulatory recommendations/findings with detailed remediation actions and timing.
- Maintain responsibility to the Supervisory Committee and oversees independent reporting of internal risk or control concerns as well as researching and responding to questions or issues presented by the Committee.
- Manage relationships with all internal stakeholders and outside parties, including department leadership, DFI and NCUA regulators, and external audit firms, to objectively discuss organizational risk and controls.
- Act as a partner to internal management to assess risk while balancing the larger goals and initiatives within the organization. Works in conjunction with department leaders to resolve audit and/or risk issues in a manner consistent with credit union goals and needs.
- Represent Internal Audit as an initiative-taking participant in new credit union initiatives. Educates leaders within the organization on the value and appropriateness of controls to manage risk and achieve organizational goals.
- Ensure all audit documentation is accurately kept and organized.
- Provide leadership and manages the internal audit team to achieve high performance and high-quality, reliable work. Provides performance reviews, coaching and development as needed.
- Ensure full compliance with Gesa service standards, policies, procedures, and the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Ability to be bonded for business purposes.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Able to successfully and professionally communicate both orally, and in writing.
- Able to prioritize tasks, organize work schedules, and provide direction to subordinates.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple complex tasks.
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff and work well in a team environment.
- Maintain high level of integrity.
- Possess good oral and written communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to make effective presentations at Supervisory Committee, Executive Team and Board meetings.
- Experience with Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and common accounting software applications and proficient with reporting. Comprehensive knowledge and exercise of credit union state and federal laws and regulations and accounting rules pertaining to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills and process improvement ability.
Leadership Core Competencies:
Leaders at Gesa Credit Union are lifelong learners who, by developing themselves, are better able to grow our team members and our organization as well as serve as influential role models for each other. We believe that every team leader, no matter their position or years of experience, must model and continue to strengthen these competencies which are foundational to our view of leadership and support the achievement of our strategic goals.
- Leading Others
- Developing Others
- Emotional Intelligence
- Social Responsibility
- Performance & Results Orientation
What You Will Need:
- CPA, CIA or CISA preferred.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting or related field.
- Minimum of ten years of audit-related experience.
- Financial institution experience strongly preferred. Large Bank/Credit Union or Big 4 experience preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of managerial/supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of generally accepted auditing standards, generally accepted accounting principles, DFI regulations, NCUA regulations, and Federal and state consumer laws and regulations required.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing, with team members, direct reports, external audit firms to gather information, explain issues and help craft dispute responses.
- Excellent critical thinking skills: ability to effectively weigh competing options and make tough, timely decisions; required to work well under pressure, manage multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Must be highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Must have ability to initiate and prioritize regular work duties and projects; strong organizational and time management skills, exercising discretion and independent judgment.
Our Team Member Value Proposition:
In exchange for bringing your talent to Gesa, here are a just a few of the benefits and perks we offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- 20 days/year accrual of Paid Time Off – Plus 10 Paid Holidays!
- 401(k) Match
- Incentive Program
- Tuition Assistance and Student Loan Repayment
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Product discounts
- Engaging Work Environment
- Rewards and Recognition Programs
Get wise to what’s possible with a career at Gesa. Join us!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact the HR Department at (509) 378-3100 or [email protected] to request an accommodation.
Gesa Credit Union reserves the right to revise or change the job description as the need arises. This job description is not all inclusive of total job responsibilities nor does it constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Selected candidate(s) must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen which includes screening for all drugs considered illegal or controlled by the State(s) in which the candidate will be performing work, as well as, a credit/background check and a skills assessment.
Gesa Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Race/Color/Gender/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Veteran.
Please log in before posting jobs.